Friday, May 28, 2010

The Trinket Heart

Poem in response to Esperanza Gama's painting
"Los Milagros Rojos de Antonieta"










What trinkets do we attach,
like trinkets to the walls of crumbling churches
asking for blessings, and healings, and cures,
to the heart of our lover?

Will we ask them to cradle our heart?
Such a fragile thing in the hands of another.
Will we ask them to accept our faith and hopes and dreams?
On bended knee we plead to have some of our self in this union.

What part of our self will be taken or rejected?
Will you take this hand
and not the whole of me?
Will I be fractured and left to pour out of church windows?

Her eye gazes,
searches for the answers.
Crowned by virtue and virginity,
she looks out peering into the heart of another.
Drawing us into a ceremony of desire,
but not hers.

Two separate canvases painted
with fire and darkness.
A duel between my heart and
Family, Tradition, trinkets of Culture.
I long for you
to let me go.

1 comment:

  1. I looked around the Internet for a larger version of the painting with no luck. I can't tell what the hanging objects are. Some look the same on each side of the bifurcated image, some are different. I believe the cathedral is Notre Dame in Paris. In life this is a large painting, I would like to sit in front of it for while, to see it better. My reaction to this small image is a sense of despair, loss, separation, incompleteness without the other, and a desire to understand why.

    ReplyDelete